Notes From Nature Talk

!

• ghewson by ghewson

I've seen a few additional labels saying just !. Is there some scientific meaning in this? 😃

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson

Anyone? I keep coming across these exclamation marks. ANN0000nnp has one with an illegible word following. #handwriting

Posted

• SandersClan by SandersClan

I've had a few of those in the last couple of days, too. I think the same person scribbled on the ones I've had. This is the first one I've seen with a typewritten '!', though. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the exclamation point is a symbol that means 'as determined', and takes the place of a plant's name correction. If memory serves, they usually are noted with a later date than the other labels. Just a thought.

Posted

Funny, the very next specimen I got was ANN0000kcm and that one has Illegible Handwriter's usual notation minus the '!' and following 'det.' instead. So maybe the above theory is correct.

Posted

• riskingraisin by riskingraisin

Just found one with a handwritten "corr. [check]," which I assume means "determination correct." This might be different version of the same thing (see ANN0000nlh).

Posted

• riskingraisin by riskingraisin in response to ghewson's comment.

I think that illegible word after the ! in ANN0000nnp is the name of the person who made the annotation. An identical illegible word appears in ANN0000l0d, where it is clearly the name of the person who made the new determination (not that I could read the new species).

Posted

Another with just the exclamation mark ANN0000njb. They all seem to be from 1981. Perhaps I'll start a collection.

Posted

Might be a huge collection. 😃

Posted

• El_Lion by El_Lion

I think the exclamation mark confirms that the determination done at the time when the label was written was found to be correct. The person doing the re-determination probably didn't think it was necessary to actually write anything. I guess, that person never imagined "lay people" like us would have a glimpse at these collections and it might just be customary for taxonomists to do that.

Posted

As confirmation, here is a record with an annotation that spells out the full "As det !": ANN00002bj

Posted

Anyone know why sometimes a record identifier automatically becomes a hyperlink & other times doesn't?

Posted

We, my friends, are superb detectives.

Posted

• ghewson by ghewson in response to riskingraisin's comment.

I think it's a bug, not of the entomological kind.

Posted