Notes From Nature Talk

Herbarium-Confused on Cultivated specimens-need advice

• Bonnie123 by Bonnie123

The one collection appears to be all cultivated which is causing me some confusion. The FAQ states to input the location it was cultivated as the location so that's what I've been doing so inputed Florida data. But for example on this one I'm unclear what I should do with the other information shown. I inputted "Cultivated. Rec'd 12/11/64, Stanley Kiem, #211, Indonesia." for my Habitat since FAQ says to do so. Could someone confirm I'm doing this correctly? Thanks so much!!

Posted

• md68135 by md68135 scientist

@Bonnie123

I am not sure if there have been a lot like this, but this one is potentially very confusing. I probably would have done as you did except that I noticed that the header on the label says Cultivated Plants of Fairchild Tropical Garden, Miami, Florida. I think this is where it was cultivated (and would be the locality). The other place mentioned must be where they collected the plants/seeds in the wild. That is my guess. I think we can both agree that it is not totally clear in this case.

Posted

• Bonnie123 by Bonnie123 in response to md68135's comment.

I did input the Florida data for the location, so I think I got it right. Glad it looks like I did it correctly. Thanks so much for letting me know. You are so right ,most of these are not quite so confusing. Thanks again!

Posted

• md68135 by md68135 scientist

Great. Thank you for bringing it up and glad I was here to respond : )

Posted