Notes From Nature Talk

Border Changes Over Time

• tinkapuppy by tinkapuppy

The community of Trebusany is now located within the borders of Ukraine, not Czechoslovakia. I therefore marked the "Country" as Ukraine. Should I mark future changed border locations as within the past borders or the present borders of today?

Posted

• El_Lion by El_Lion

Since you know about the present situation, take the present borders and leave a note someplace about the past borders, I'd say. In your case, Trebusany belonged to Czechoslovakia (ceased to exist in 1992) until 1938, then probably to Hungary, then to UdSSR, then to Ukraine. I'd mention "Czechoslovakia" as some sort of a side note just in case anybody is going to do a text search in the database some day. Just my two cents. 😃

Posted

• bthiers by bthiers

This is exactly the sort of information that should go in a Notes field, which we don't provide for Macrofungi. The only free-form text field we have in this project is Locality and Habitat, so I propose that when the collection locality is currently in a different country from that given on the label, transcribers put a note in square brackets in the Locality and Habitat field. In this case, after transcribing the locality and habitat I would add [NOTE: Trebusany is now considered to be part of Ukraine] You can add dates or other documentation, if you wish. Putting the information in the brackets and adding the word NOTE will help us parse these comments later.

Posted

• tinkapuppy by tinkapuppy

Thanks, will do.

Posted