Notes From Nature Talk

What should we use for a number for the Flora of Virginia?

• clee67 by clee67

Do we use the barcode? Or just leave it blank?

Posted

• SandersClan by SandersClan

I could be wrong, but I've just been leaving the space blank when the number isn't on the label itself. I think the bar code is some kind of inventory number for some other purpose.

Posted

• nosenabook by nosenabook

No to the barcode. If it was wanted, there would be a field for it as most specimens seem to have one. Leave the field blank.

I've seen elsewhere that blank fields flag the specimen for further attention. I have been more relaxed about leaving blanks since then.

I'm getting the impression that what we are doing is the bare bones minimal beginning, and perhaps no one has envisioned the final outcome.

Posted

• SandersClan by SandersClan

Right there with you, Nose. I like to think that my inadequacies don't completely mess up the project. Crossing fingers...

Posted

• slogan3561 by slogan3561

Thank you. I have been very confused when I have both a number and a barcode for the University of Virginia Mountain Lake Biological Station. I have done it wrong several times, but now I will ignore that barcode.

Posted

• Austinmast by Austinmast

Leaving it blank is correct. In this case there is neither a collector number or a collector (which should also be blank). We have code that can get the barcode number out of the image file and so don't need to ask in NfN. Looking at the transcriptions for this specimen, it looks like everyone did this one right. Thanks for asking!

Posted