Notes From Nature Talk

It won't accept the date formats I choose - 8/9/48 or August 9, 1948. What is the proper format? Thanks!

• LauraVernonRussell by LauraVernonRussell

Posted

• xairbusdriver by xairbusdriver

I think you'll have to use the format offered in the Date area of the transcription entry fields:

• Month = a two-digit number (01 through 12) a space, a hyphen, another
      space and the name of the month. For example; "02 - February"
    • Day = a two-digit number (01 through 31)
    • Year = a four-digit number

so, for the specimen you show, the date would be "08 - August", "09" and "1948". However, the real problem I see is that the year could be 1848. Seems there was a "J. Powell" of some renown in that area around that time? Perhaps he collected this specimen before he took his amazing trip down the Colorado? To be sure, I think there is a way to search the FSU archives to determine other specimens by this person. Hopefully some of those will have the decade listed! Good luck!

These are all available in a pop-up or drop-down menu but I find it much faster to simply type the two-digit number for the desired month (add a leading zero to anything smaller than 10) and then press the tab key to make the Day field active. I then type a two-digit number (add a leading zero to anything smaller than 10) and then press the tab key to make the Year field active. Finally, I type the four-digit number for the year. I'm not even a touch-typist, but all the numbers are conveniently on the same row! 😃

Posted