Notes From Nature Talk

Some recent press about NFN.

• md68135 by md68135 scientist

Hi All,
    Your great work has recently be highlighted in the journal BioScience!

http://blog.notesfromnature.org/2015/04/27/a-great-shout-out-to-our-volunteers/

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy

Thanks for posting this but unfortunately, and with due sense of irony, it looks like that article is behind a paywall.
    I get redirected to here from the NFN blog page.

You may access this article for 1 day for US$39.00.

Oh joy. But it at least reminded me of a question that I was hoping to include in the FAQ for this very issue but kept forgetting to ask: whether our transcribing effort was going towards an open-access database that everyone and anyone can access, or will be hidden behind a subscription/paywall or other for-profit system.

Posted

• reddder by reddder

Yes, the price tag is a real eye-opener: a slap in the face w/a large wet fish. Since no one has contacted my agent to obtain the right to use my photograph, I have to assume that I won't be highlighted. Hence, I, too, opted to pass on the article.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

It's typically our policy that Zooniverse secures open-access versions of papers for volunteers to peruse. Not sure about articles... not sure if the NFN team were the ones who published this, or exactly what the relationship is... but it'd be nice if we all could read it, no?

I'm going to look into this...

EDIT: The team has confirmed to me that they are also trying to figure out a way to make it freely available. 😃 Stay tuned!

Posted

Hi All,

I was worried about this (and I can't even get it myself from that site). Some folks reported that they could get it for free. We were not expecting you all to pay to see the article. I was just so excited that I went ahead and posted it. Apologies for my haste.

The article is short (~1 page) and we are working with the author to see if we can get permission to post a copy or at least the text itself.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

The full text of the article is now available as a comment on the original blog post.

Posted

Hi Everyone,
    I got permission to send the article to people individually. So if you send me your e-mail via Talk message I can send it to you. I don't think the Talk message allows attachments so I will email it to you directly.
    Apologies again for the pay wall issue.

Posted

• Mr._Kevvy by Mr._Kevvy in response to md68135's comment.

Thank you (and DZM) for resolving this. :^)

Posted

Hi All,

I meant to answer Mr Kevvy's question about open access above. Yes, the data are open access (and can't be used for profit based purposes either). The main "aggregators" that we share with are GBIF (http://www.gbif.org/) and iDigBio (https://www.idigbio.org/portal/search).
    With that said, you will most likely not find recently Notes From Nature records on those sites just yet (at least not for the herbarium records). It takes us some time to process them and get them to those sites. The good news is that this is something that we are looking to speed up (and make more traceable) in the near future.

Posted