Notes From Nature Talk

Searching the web to find out a county in

• SandersClan by SandersClan

Is it okay to do this when a city is listed but the county isn't? I know we're just supposed to transcribe but this seems like a quick way to get a more complete record.

Posted

• xairbusdriver by xairbusdriver

I sure hope so! I came across a pretty old specimen today that I thought was from Virginia. Then I noticed the hand-written "location" was Paluxy Valley near Rose, TX! That place still exists, although the distances mentioned might be less usable (I'm figuring the town may be a few miles bigger than it was back in the late 1890s!).

As this was a pretty sparsely annotated label, there would not have been much useful info if I'd left the location blank. The collector didn't even have a 'number.' That may be a method that has only been around for less than 100 years?

As with most Zooniverse projects, I think many people will see the same specimens and the odd records (like mine) will be discarded if they don't match pretty well with most of the others. Maybe I wasted my time. But that's what I have in abundance right now! And I learned a little about Texas in the bargain! 😃

Posted

• SandersClan by SandersClan

That's what I was hoping, too-that any info I entered that wasn't needed would just be disregarded. I hadn't thought about the size/distance point you brought up. Good thing you're using your noggin! I'm glad to see you're in agreement and that I'm not the only one thinking this way. It's pretty interesting stuff, isn't it? I live in Colorado but am originally from CA. It's neat to recognize the areas mentioned. It is, however, strange to know that the same flies I kept swatting might have been rare or special specimens.

Posted