Notes From Nature Talk

beats me???

• Veegee by Veegee

I have no idea what you want us to do, there doesn't seem to be a good tutorial.
    I got a photo of some dried twigs/leaves, said draw a box around it, I did, and then
    a larger photo of some twigs/leaves popped up and then they asked me what country
    it came from....what am I? A mind reader? Where am I supposed to find that info
    on just a half of a photo of some dried twigs? I like to help but TUTORIALS are
    very important for me to see what needs to be done!

Posted

• md68135 by md68135 scientist

Hi Veegee,
    You are supposed to draw a box around the area that you are transcribing. So in this case it would be the label, usually in the lower right.

Posted

• ibclc2 by ibclc2

I have a suggestion for the interface: If you accidentally click on "OK" before entering text, the interface should sense this and message you "Please enter text.". If that's not possible, at least keep the empty data entry box displayed without moving to the next data item. Until I got the hang of the interface, I accidentally clicked on the OK button before entering anything, and basically lost the record (had to Skip it) because it moved to the next data item. Thanks for "listening".

Posted

• xairbusdriver by xairbusdriver in response to ibclc2's comment.

Close to that "OK" button is sort of a 'count-up' indicator showing which field you are working on. There are now 10 fields for each record, so when you are asked for the Country, that counter would show 0/10. As soon as you enter the info AND click "OK" (or press the 'return' or 'enter' key) that counter would then show 1/10. as you move through the questions/fields, the counter should increase until it reaches 10/10. At that point, clicking the "OK" button will record your data, credit you with it and present a new image.

However, if you actually click that 'counter' you should get a pop-up list of the ten labels (one for each field). If one or more of those labels are in red (I think that's the color) it means you haven't entered data in that field. But you can also use that pop-up list to go back to any field to correct or add info.

While I agree that the user-feedback is not purfekt, the html simply inserts some default text in the empty field, even if you just click "OK". But that counter probably will not advance (first clue) and if you use the pop-up list, you will see at least one highlighted field (second clue). Finally, if you click the "Finnish this Specimen" you should get a pop-up warning that there is at least one field that needs data entered (final clue?).

Also don't forget that you can skip a field by clicking that label between the "OK" button and the 'counter'.

The point is, clicking the "OK" button without entering data doesn't break anything. Now, pressing the 'delete' or 'backspace' key, at the wrong time (the Date fields), can cause a complete loss of all your data!!! BAD!!! ARRrrrgh!!!

Posted

• ibclc2 by ibclc2

Thanks for the information. Is that shared with all volunteers? Or do we have to find this out by poking around? A well-written guide for entering data would be helpful.

Posted